Your suitability for the PGCE Secondary programme is judged on a range of factors including academic qualifications, ability to work with other people and a real interest in learning and teaching.
When selecting applicants for interview the admissions tutor will consider all parts of the application including a personal statement and references. The UCAS website has useful information on how to provide these.
- GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in English and mathematics.
- An honours degree (2:2 or above) or equivalent, from a recognised university (masters and PhDs also count towards entry requirements.
Masters and PhDs count towards entry requirements. A masters degree will be considered as a second class upper degree and a PhD as a first. This will also apply to international applicants.
For all other UK qualifications please refer to the UCAS website.
If you have overseas qualifications you can check how they compare with the UK equivalent through UK NARIC, who provide an advisory service.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language then we’ll need evidence of your proficiency in English as follows:
- IELTS at level 7 in all four components or GCSE in English Language at grade C or above.
- IELTS at level 6.5 provided that it was used to meet the entry requirement for a postgraduate degree completed in the UK.
- IELTS at level 6 provided that it was used to meet the entry requirement for an undergraduate degree completed in the UK.
For more information please visit the IELTS website.
- You'll be required to complete a satisfactory DBS (formerly CRB) Enhanced Disclosure, register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority and complete a criminal convictions self-declaration form. Find all of the important documentation you'll need when applying for this programme.
- You must be deemed fit to teach.
- You must be able to reflect on some significant experience (a minimum of ten days) in a relevant educational setting(s).
Professional Skills Tests and Qualified Teacher Status
You'll need to pass your Professional Skills Tests (PST) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) tests prior to the start of the course. For more information please visit the Department of Education website.