- GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in English, mathematics and a science subject.
- An honours degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent, from a recognised university (masters and PhDs also count towards entry requirements. A masters degree will be considered as a second class upper degree and a PhD as a first. This will also apply to international applicants). It is not necessary for the degree to be in a national curriculum subject.
- If you have overseas qualifications you can check your compatibility with the UK equivalent through NARIC, who provide an advisory service.
If English is not your first language then we’ll need evidence of your proficiency in English as follows:
- IELTS at level 7 with 7 in all four components or GCSE in English Language at grade C or above.
- If you have gained an IELTS at level 6 to meet the undergraduate entry requirement for an undergraduate degree in the UK, and then completed the degree, this meets our entry requirements.
- If you have gained an IELTS at level 6.5 to meet the postgraduate entry requirement for a postgraduate degree in the UK, and then completed the degree, this meets our entry requirements.
- Suitability for the PGCE Primary programme is judged on a range of factors including academic qualifications, ability to work with other people and a real interest in learning and teaching.
- When selecting applicants for interview the admissions tutor will consider all parts of the application including personal statement and references. You may find the personal statement and reference sections on the UCAS website useful.
Find all of the important documentation you'll need when applying for this programme.
- You must be able to reflect on some experience in relevant educational setting(s).
- You are expected to arrange visits to local schools, and to be able to discuss your observations of pupils and classrooms at interview.
- You will need to give details of your experience within your application.
- A further reference from the school will be required if you are offered a place on the course.
Professional Skills Tests and Qualified Teacher Status
- You will need to pass your professional skills tests (PST) prior to the start of the course. For more information please visit the Department of Education website.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure
Fitness to Teach health screening
A typical offer is 120 points to include minimum of two A levels, including grade B in A level Mathematics or B in Further Mathematics or A level Mathematics and Statistics or Math (Pure and Applied) excluding general studies. Mathematics (mechanics) accepted as mathematics.
BTEC National Diploma/QCF Extended Diploma: DDM to include a distinction in a mathematics subject: individual interview/diagnostic test will be required.
BTEC National Diploma modules
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC. This information enables us to process your application quickly and avoid delays in the progress of your application to study with us. Please explicitly state the full list of modules within your qualification at the time of application.
Pass Access to HE Diploma (e.g mathematics, science, combined) with at least 33 credits at merit and/or distinction and to include at least 12 credits in mathematics units with merit. Individual interview/diagnostic test will be required please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for further information.
30 overall to include 5 at Higher Level mathematics. English must be included.
Other qualifications are also welcome and will be considered individually, as will be individuals returning to education, email email@example.com
English language requirements
For a full list of all acceptable qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary