What is the Formation Zone?
Formation Zone is perfect if you have a business idea you’d like to start and develop in a supportive and collaborative environment. We are talent-spotting for the most innovative* startups in the following sectors: creative industries, hi-tech, marine, environmental, advanced engineering, health and wellbeing
Anyone can apply to join Formation Zone – you don’t have to be a student or graduate. If you can demonstrate innovation, high standards and potential for growth we would like to hear from you.
* Innovative business ideas aim to create a product or service that is new or improved in order to satisfy a customer need.
What are the benefits to me/my organisation?
- A cost-effective way to start in business with support package from £60 (pre-start, two months only).
- Enhanced credibility with a professional trading address, workspace and meeting room.
- Increased motivation and support from other start-up businesses.
- An easier start-up process with advice from business experts.
- Opportunities to grow with links into University expertise and facilities.
- A higher chance of success with award-winning support from the only independently accredited incubator in Plymouth.
How does the support work?
At the Formation Zone in Plymouth you’ll have a monthly opportunity to meet with an accountant, business advisor and work-based coach.
An Intellectual Property, (IP), advisor is also available for one-off consultations.
You can make an appointment to talk with the Formation Zone Manager to discuss any opportunities or issues you have encountered. The Manager can refer you into University expertise and facilities – previously clients have accessed green screens and advice about app development.
Monthly evening Formation Zone Connect events provide an opportunity to make connections with other young companies and our alumni.
How much is it going to cost?Option one: Pre-start support
£60 one-off fee. Ideal for assessing the viability of your business idea before starting up.
- two support sessions
- start-up online resource
to ten days use of a workstation
- network events
- access to a professional
Valid for two months only.
Option two: Formation Zone support and workstation hire
£180 per month per business in year one, £240 per month per business in year two.
A workstation in one of our open plan offices. Includes a desk, chair, pedestal storage, IP phone, broadband network and wireless, shared printer/copier/fax/scanner. Small additional charge for extra desks.
- access to expert advice sessions
- links into University research expertise, knowledge transfer and innovation opportunities
- access to our start-up online resource and network events
- access to our professional meeting rooms and a Formation Zone postal address
- easy-in, easy-out flexible terms.
Additional charges for a University desktop PC or Mac, where available, on request. Some overheads are included in this rate, additional charges are made for telephone calls and printing. Please note that all prices listed here include VAT, and may be subject to change according to Formation Zone’s terms and conditions.
The Formation Zone Difference
I would have no hesitation in recommending Formation Zone to future clients, great facilities, super staff, supportive and knowledgeable. Simply put, it is crucial. The contacts, the support, and the resulting possibilities are all excellent.
A former Formation Zone client.Find out more about the Formation Zone difference on our website