What is the Formation Zone?
Formation Zone is a business incubator and is one of the services offered by the University of Plymouth’s The Cube: Business Creation & Growth Service and is perfect if you have a business idea you'd like to start and develop in a supportive and collaborative environment. We are talent-spotting for the most innovative start-ups in the following sectors: creative industries, hi-tech, marine, environmental, advanced engineering, health and wellbeing.
Anyone can apply to join Formation Zone – you don't have to be a student or graduate. If you can demonstrate innovation, high standards and potential for growth we would like to hear from you.
What are the benefits to me/my organisation?
- A cost effective way to start in business with support package from £60 (pre-start, two months only).
- Enhanced credibility with a professional trading address, workspace and meeting rooms.
- Increased motivation and support from other start-up businesses and Formation Zone Alumni.
- An easier start-up process with advice from The Cube Business Creation & Growth Service’s business experts.
- Opportunities to grow with links into the University of Plymouth expertise and facilities.
- A higher chance of success with award-winning support from the only independently accredited incubator in Plymouth.
How does the support work?
At the Formation Zone in Plymouth you'll have opportunities to access all The Cube Business Creation & Growth Service’s business support:
- Workshops and events run by experienced entrepreneurs who have ‘been there, done that’ and want to share their knowledge with you
- The Cube - Top Tips - open forum to chat about business start-ups - fortnightly
- Business start-up and support 1:1 appointments
- Experts in residence appointments – HR, Finance, Law, Business Advisers
You can also meet with The Cube’s Student Enterprise Manager to discuss your business and any opportunities or issues you have encountered. The Manager can also organise a referral into the University of Plymouth’s expertise and facilities if appropriate.
How much is it going to cost?
Option one: Pre-start support
£60 one-off fee. Ideal for assessing the viability of your business idea before starting up. Valid for two months only.
Option two: Formation Zone support and workstation hire
Up to £180 per month per business in year one, £200 per month per business in year two.
Both options offer you:
A workstation in one of our open plan offices. Includes a desk, chair, pedestal storage, IP phone, broadband network and wireless, shared printer/copier/fax/scanner. Small additional charge for extra desks.
- access to The Cube’s expert advice sessions
- links into University research expertise, knowledge transfer and innovation opportunities
- access to The Cube’s start-up online resources and network events
- access to our professional meeting rooms and a Formation Zone postal address
- easy-in, easy-out flexible terms.
Additional charges for a University desktop PC, where available, on request. Some overheads are included in this rate, additional charges are made for telephone calls and printing. Please note that all prices listed here include VAT, and may be subject to change according to Formation Zone’s terms and conditions.
The Formation Zone Difference
I would have no hesitation in recommending Formation Zone to future clients, great facilities, super staff, supportive and knowledgeable. Simply put, it is crucial. The contacts, the support, and the resulting possibilities are all excellent.
A former Formation Zone client.Want to know more? Visit the Formation Zone website