Professional Development Unit (PDU) – admissions

Thank you for your interest in the programmes and/or modules offered by the Professional Development Unit within the Faculty of Health.

Here, you will be able to access all the documentation you will need to complete in order to apply for a place on our programmes or modules.

Hard copies of all application forms are available upon request. Please contact the Professional Development Unit Admissions Team for more information.

Admissions documentation – post enrolment

Visit our post enrolment page for full details on: 

  • IT registration and Moodle instructions
  • student card
  • change of name form
  • paying your fees
  • APEL
  • maps.

Standalone degree or masters level modules

If you are applying for one or more standalone modules in this academic year, but do not wish to be considered for a full programme of study at this time, please complete the application form below. If you are hoping to complete an award of PgCert/PgDip/MSc, rather than a single standalone module, then please complete the programme application form, below. If you will not be paying the fee yourself, a sponsorship form is required to inform us of which organisation will be paying on your behalf. The document is available at the back of the application form, or can be accessed below and sent in separately. Some of our modules are offered as commissioned modules via Health Education England and you can apply for these modules via your Trust Co-ordinator.

Programme application forms

For the following programmes, please download the following forms, programme application form and postgraduate referee form.

  • MSc Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioner*
  • MSc Advanced Critical Care Practitioner*
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice Children and Families (Social Work) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Clinical Practitioner)*
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Community and Primary Care Practitioner) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Dietetics) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Health and Social Care Professionals) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Mental Health Practitioner) 

  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Neuro Rehabilitation) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Nursing and Midwifery Professions)
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Occupational Therapy)
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Paediatric Dietetics)
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Physiotherapy)
  • MSc Human Nutrition
  • MSc Surgical Care Practitioner*
  • MClinRes Clinical Research
  • PgDip Advanced Critical Care Practitioner*
  • PgDip Surgical Care Practitioner*
  • PgDip District Nursing Apprenticeship Programme**

Applicants for courses marked with an * need to complete an additional form

Applicants for courses marked with an ** need to complete an additional information form.

Transferring onto a full programme of study

If you have already completed some masters modules with us, and would like to transfer onto a full masters programme, please complete the application form below:

Covid-19 Update

The Government has introduced emergency legislation so that the NMC can temporarily register fit, proper and suitably experienced people if they want to practise and feel able to do so. Anyone whose NMC Registration has lapsed within the last 5 years can apply to join the temporary NMC register if they are wishing to return now to help out in the Covid-19 crisis.

More information on Temporary Registration

Information for students who have previously resided outside the UK as an adult (i.e. from age 18 or above)

Alongside the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks which are undertaken for all applicants, any periods of previous residence abroad, of twelve months or more as an adult, need to be covered by a 'certificate of good character' (or similar) from the country concerned. Residence aboard includes, but is not limited to, travelling, studying, working and postings with armed forces.*

If, since the age 18, you have resided outside the UK for more than twelve months (either continuously or in total) it is your responsibility to obtain the relevant certificate(s). The University cannot apply for these certificates on your behalf or pay for the costs involved. This process can take some time and you are strongly advised to apply at the earliest opportunity. Students who have previously resided abroad will be unable to start student placements without this certificate.

For information about applying for such certificates, please consult the DBS website: overseas police check section.

*If your period of residence abroad took place whilst serving in the military, you will not be required to supply a CoGC if you are able to provide a copy of your Certificate of Service Discharge Form, which includes a Citation of Exemplary Service.

BSc intercalated degrees

Applications for these courses are now closed for 2020. The application window for 2021 will open later in the year.  

We will consider applications from third and fourth year students. All students will be assessed using identical application shortlisting and interview performance criteria, and applicants will be assessed on individual merit and potential, not their specific position in training.

More details about the intercalated degree programmes can be found on our information page

Information for students who have previously resided outside the UK as an adult.

Sponsorship form

Please provide your sponsor with the form below if they have agreed to pay your fees for you. This form is also integral to many of our application forms and can be completed as part of your application. 

This separate form is available should you require it to be completed in addition to your initial application. 

You can contact the Professional Development Unit with any queries

Prospective student enquiries:


Phone: +44 1752 586951

Current student enquiries:


Telephone: +44 1752 586958

Professional Development Unit, Level 4 Rolle Building, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, United Kingdom.

Monday–Thursday 8:30–17:00 and Friday 8:30–16:30.