Professional Development Unit (PDU) - admissions

Standalone degree or masters level modules

If you are applying for one or more standalone modules in this academic year, but do not wish to be considered for a full programme of study at this time, please complete the application form below. If you are hoping to complete an award of PgCert/PgDip/MSc, rather than a single standalone module, then please complete the programme application form, below. If you will not be paying the fee yourself, a sponsorship form is required to inform us of which organisation will be paying on your behalf. The document is available at the back of the application form, or can be accessed below and sent in separately. Some of our modules are offered as commissioned modules via Health Education England and you can apply for these modules via your Trust Co-ordinator.

Programme application forms

For the following programmes, please download the following forms, programme application form and postgraduate referee form.

  • MSc Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioner*
  • MSc Advanced Critical Care Practitioner*
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice Children and Families (Social Work) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Clinical Practitioner)*
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Community and Primary Care Practitioner) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Dietetics) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Health and Social Care Professionals) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Mental Health Practitioner) 

  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Neuro Rehabilitation) 
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Nursing and Midwifery Professions)
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Occupational Therapy)
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Paediatric Dietetics)
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Physiotherapy)
  • MSc Human Nutrition
  • MSc Surgical Care Practitioner*
  • MClinRes Clinical Research
  • PgDip Advanced Critical Care Practitioner*
  • PgDip Surgical Care Practitioner*

Applicants for courses marked with an * need to complete an additional form

Information for students who have previously resided outside the UK as an adult (i.e. from age 18 or above)

Alongside the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks which are undertaken for all applicants, any periods of previous residence abroad, of twelve months or more as an adult, need to be covered by a 'certificate of good character' (or similar) from the country concerned. Residence aboard includes, but is not limited to, travelling, studying, working and postings with armed forces.*

If, since the age 18, you have resided outside the UK for more than twelve months (either continuously or in total) it is your responsibility to obtain the relevant certificate(s). The University cannot apply for these certificates on your behalf or pay for the costs involved. This process can take some time and you are strongly advised to apply at the earliest opportunity. Students who have previously resided abroad will be unable to start student placements without this certificate.

For information about applying for such certificates, please consult the DBS website: overseas police check section.

*If your period of residence abroad took place whilst serving in the military, you will not be required to supply a CoGC if you are able to provide a copy of your Certificate of Service Discharge Form, which includes a Citation of Exemplary Service.

BSc intercalated degrees

Applications for these courses are open now and the application form can be found on the course pages. 

We are considering applications from third and fourth year students for 2019/20 entry. All students will be assessed using identical application shortlisting and interview performance criteria, and applicants will be assessed on individual merit and potential, not their specific position in training.

More details about the intercalated degree programmes can be found on our information page

Sponsorship form

Please provide your sponsor with the form below if they have agreed to pay your fees for you. This form is also integral to many of our application forms and can be completed as part of your application. 

This separate form is available should you require it to be completed in addition to your initial application. 

Transferring onto a full programme of study

If you have already completed some masters modules with us, and would like to transfer onto a full masters programme, please complete the application form below:

Confirmation information

Induction information 

If you have enrolled on a full masters programme or intercalated degree with us, you will be emailed with details of your induction prior to commencement of your programme. 

Induction will take place on the following days: 

  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Health Professions): 16 and 17 September 2019
  • MSc Advanced Professional Practice (Nursing and Midwifery Professions), including ACP Apprenticeships: 4 September 2019
  • MSc Advanced Critical Care Practitioner and MSc Advanced Clinical Practice in Critical Care (Apprenticeship): 2–6 September 2019
  • MSc Human Nutrition: 16 and 17 September 2019
  • Urgent and Emergency Care and Critical Care Intercalated Degrees: 3 and 4 September 2019.

IT registration and Moodle instructions

Instructions on how to set up your University IT account and how to access Moodle which contains all your learning resources and information about the programme or module.

Student card form

If you have not studied with the University of Plymouth before you will need to apply for a student card

Change of name form

If you have enrolled on a course with us previously and have since changed your name you will need to complete a change of name form if you would like us to change the name on your student record.

Paying your fees 

Everything you will need to know about paying your fees. 

Links to online payment portals, advice on sponsorship, tuition fee loans and debts: 

  • How to make a payment. 
  • Advice for students receiving sponsorship or student loans. 
  • Advice for students studying professional development modules. 
  • Advice for students withdrawing or interrupting their studies.  
Visit our fees page for full details. 

Applying for Accreditation of Prior (Experiential) Learning (APEL) / Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)  

You may be able to make an application for any prior learning which can be considered as accreditation towards your programme of study. 

If you are applying for one of our programmes and wish us to consider qualifications you have obtained at another institution please include with your Programme Application a copy of your certificate / transcript and details of the Learning Outcomes.