Delivered by experts, our programmes are tailored to you and your career.
During your intercalation you will engage in quality improvement and develop your confidence and competence as a leader and member of the healthcare team.
The unique mentoring, usually provided by a consultant in emergency medicine and intensive care, will support your progression developing relationships and the wider networks, that is so valuable as you complete your medical degree and commence your early years as a doctor.
Enjoy a truly unique intercalated degree experience.
- A unique opportunity to study Intercalated degree programmes in critical and emergency care
- Explore placements opportunities within your locality
- A long practice placement working in a challenging critical care environment and emergency department
- Develop your interpersonal, professional and clinical skills
- Follow and lead exploring and applying key concepts, professional theories and evidence.
Spend a year experiencing critical care medicine and life in the intensive care unit.
- A truly unique and flexible approach to intercalation. Most of your time is spent on placement in the Intensive Care Unit
- Highly applicable to those interested in careers in intensive care medicine, emergency or acute medicine
- Be mentored by an experienced faculty comprising senior clinicians and subject experts
- Develop highly transferable skills in leadership, quality improvements and research.
Are you an aspiring emergency, acute or pre-hospital physician? Do you want to be ahead of the curve for foundation years and beyond?
- A truly unique and flexible approach to intercalation. Most of your time is spent on placement in the Emergency Department
- UK wide network of placements gives unparalleled choice
- Become a functioning member of the clinical team
- Optional modules include mental health, critical care and clinical decision making.
Intercalated degrees - webinar
We are holding recruitment webinars for our intercalated degrees:
Join us on the following date to find out more, hear from staff and current students and graduates about their experiences. Book your place using the link below.
21 November 2019
17:30–19:00 book your place
Join us to begin your journey with the University of Plymouth.
University of Plymouth intercalation
It’s a unique course – there’s isn't anything like it anywhere else in the UK. You’re in the clinical environment most of the time, normally five days a week.
Joshua Masheder - BSc (Hons) Urgent and Emergency Care (Intercalated) graduate
"Emergency care and critical care are both fields which can be the difference between life and death, but as students we have little exposure whilst at medical school. The opportunity this course and the BSc (Hons) Critical Care (Intercalated) course gives you to become integrated alongside some of the best medical teams in some of the busiest hospitals in the UK provides opportunities you will not gain elsewhere. Alongside the clinical placements I have been able to work in my field of interest, explore pre-hospital care and be involved in cutting edge research to mould out future NHS. Plymouth and its intercalation courses offer a unique starting block for anyone interested in emergency care, pre-hospital care and anaesthetics, not forgetting paediatrics and psychiatry all of which stand you above colleagues in experience, knowledge and exposure."
Additional information and documentation required for the application process.
- application forms
- change of name forms
- pre-course information
- downloadable guides
- student card.
Visit our admissions homepage for full details.
You can contact the Professional Development Unit with any queries
Professional Development Unit, Level 4 Rolle Building, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, United Kingdom.
Monday - Thursday 8:30 - 17:00 and Friday 8:30 - 16:30.