I am Professor of Management with teaching, supervision and research responsibilities. My teaching area is in leadership, HRM and IR practices. I am specifically interested in workplace conflicts such as bullying and discrimination. I am also interested in emotional labour, emotion work, employee engagement and destructive leadership.
Qualifications & background
PhD (Cardiff University)
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (FCIPD)
Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
I teach on mainly Masters programmes in HR and Leadership topics.
I have recently completed a large ESRC funded research project with Ralph Fevre of Cardiff School of Social Sciences. Cardiff University. This was a nationwide study of negative behaviours in the workplace. We are currently in the dissemination phase of the study and if you are interested in receiving a copy of the practitioner report, please send me an email. The second piece of research I am involved with is also funded by the ESRC and is being undertaken in conjunction with Helge Hoel at Manchester Business School. This is also a nationwide study of lesbian, gay and bisexual employee experiences of discrimination, bullying and harassment in the workplace and has the support of the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
I am also interested in emotional labour, destructive leadersuop, employee engagement and in workplace conflicts more generally. I supervise a number of PhD students in these broad disciplines and welcome convserations with anyone interested in undertaking doctoral level research in applied topics.
UoP Research group membership
Research Centre for Sustainable Leadership, Governance and Policy (SLGP)
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
I have supervised a number of students to successful completion of doctoral theses including PhD and DBA students including:
- 2010 Joy Zhang (Ph.D.) – ‘Ethical Decision Making among Chinese and British Managers: An Exploratory Study’, with Dr. Simon Brooks
- 2010 Andrew Hunt (DBA) – ‘Exploring the Identity of Embedded Micro-consultants in an Organisation Change Environment’, with Dr. Paul Thomas
- 2009 Kemi Adewumi (Ph.D.) – ‘The Exploration of the Nature and Extent of Workplace Bullying in an Emergency Services Organisation in the UK’, with Professor Michael Sheehan
- 2009 Peter Williams (DBA) – ‘Third Party Intervention into Workplace Bullying: An Exploratory Study’, with Professor Michael Sheehan
- 2007 Javier De-Rentera (DBA) – ‘Pharmaceutical Lobbying in Argentina: a study of Pharmacopolitics’, with Professor Kerry Howell, Plymouth Business School
Grants & contracts
I am a co-investigator on two large ESRC funded research grants:
1. £800,000 with Professor Ralph Fevre, Professor of Social Research at Cardiff University ‘Workplace Bullying in Britain: With Special Reference to Race and Ethnicity’
2. £520.000 with Dr. Helge Hoel, Senior Lecturer in Organizational Psychology, Manchester Business School. 'Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual employees experience of discrimination, bullying and harassment at work’. Funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (RES-062-23-2412)