At the Plymouth Business School we are committed to building a vibrant community of socially engaged, environmentally responsible and economically astute students, academics, staff and alumni. Our graduates are among the most engaged, entrepreneurial and employable men and women in the world.
We pride ourselves particularly on:
- The flexibility of our programming
- Our focus on the student experience
- And the friendliness of our teaching and professional staff
In 2012 the Plymouth Business School enrolled 4,446 students and is the 15th largest Business School in the UK. The School has more than 50 undergraduate programmes, 40 masters programmes, and a PhD programme with more than 160 students from more than 35 nationalities, making it one of the largest and most diverse business PhD programmes in the world.
More than half of our undergraduate students come from the South West of England and a significant percentage stay in the South West following graduation. However, we also place our students with many top national and international employers in business, in the professions, in government and in civil society organisations and Universities. One in five of our undergraduate students are from overseas, representing 61 different nationalities. 70 per cent of graduate students (masters and PhD) are international students. Plymouth Business School programmes are ranked in the top ten per cent of programmes in the UK in the following subjects:
- Accounting & Finance
- Business Studies
The Faculty continues to perform well in national surveys of student satisfaction. Between 2010 and 2012 our student satisfaction improved…….
- From 89% to 94% for Law (+6% on the sector average)
- From 76% to 85% for Business Studies (+1% on the sector average)
- From 79% to 95% for Marketing (+14% on the sector average)
- From 75% to 88% for Tourism Studies (+9% on the sector average)
- From 85% to 89% for Economics (+4% on the sector average)
- Overall satisfaction remained at 91% for Accounting (+3% on the sector average);
- Overall satisfaction remained at 91% for Politics and International Relations (+4% on the sector average).
Our newly arriving students believe that Plymouth University is modern; sophisticated; friendly; professional; fast growing; warm and welcoming.
- 96.2% agree or strongly agree that ‘the skills I will acquire are essential to my future employability’
- 88.5% agree or strongly agree ‘it is important to have engagement with employers as part of my course’
- 55.7% will become involved in volunteering
- 18.7% are determined to set up their own business at some point
Why you are here (spontaneous response):
- 57.8% the quality of the course and the teaching
- 37.8% the city and the region
- 30.4% the reputation of the University or the School
- 17.8% recommendations and reviews
Why they are here (‘important’ or ‘very important’)
- Facilities 83.8%,
- Reputation 77.9%,
- Links with professions 74.9% (20.9% ‘single most imp’)