Skip to main contentSkip to contextural navigationSkip to main navigationIf you are having problems using this page with a screen reader follow this link for a more compatible version
University of Plymouth home page
home |  Help |  contact us |  sitemap |  search  University Logo

An information map of campus buildings

 
Welcome to the interactive University of Plymouth campus map. Please choose a building from the map below, or scroll down the screen for further information. Alternatively, view the full campus map on our travel page.

Information map of campus buildings
Map provided and drawn by the Cartographic Resources Unit, SoGEES, University of Plymouth, August 2009.

Building

Building name

Building features

Babbage Building Babbage
(BGB)
Situated on the main campus, the Babbage Building has two large lecture theatres seating 75 and 150 respectively. There are also classrooms, computer labs and seminar rooms. The building is named after Charles Babbage (1791-1871), an English mathematician, philosopher, and mechanical engineer who originated the idea of a programmable computer.

The Babbage Refectory is situated on the fourth floor, commanding spectacular views of Plymouth Hoe, the Sound and Cornwall. The refectory caters for events and conferences held within the building, also students staff and members of the public.

The building has an open access computing suite which is open from 08.30am-10.00pm seven days a week. The building also has conference and meeting rooms.

Back to map
Brunel Building Brunel
(BRL)
Brunel Laboratories are used by the School of Marine Science and Engineering and the School of Computing and Mathematics. The labs have a wide range of facilities and equipment available to staff and students. The building houses a main workshop, a composites materials lab, a heavy fluids lab, clean rooms, a fluid mechanics lab, a heavy structures lab and a vibration and coastal engineering lab.

The facilities can be used for a range of student activities including measuring daylight, monitoring and determining levels of noise and acoustics in building science and structure and nanotechnology projects.

The labs are named after Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859), a Civil and Structural Engineer, who was best known for the creation of the Great Western Railway, a series of famous steamships, and numerous important bridges and tunnels.

The labs are scheduled to be rebuilt in the future as part of the University's redevelopment plans. 

Back to map
Cookworthy Building Cookworthy
(CKY)
The Cookworthy Building has been the home of the Plymouth Business School (PBS) since 1994. It is a Devon-brick building that is named after the well-known 18th-century Quaker entrepreneur and chemist William Cookworthy (1705-1780), who amongst other things discovered china clay in Cornwall, and made the first true English porcelain in his factory in Plymouth.

The upper levels of the building are used principally for postgraduate education along with accommodation for continuing and professional development classes. The Cookworthy Building contains a range of small and medium-size teaching rooms, executive meeting rooms, extensive computing facilities, a postgraduate lounge, and undergraduate open learning areas, as well as a multimedia business and languages information service and a refectory.

In addition to the Business School, Cookworthy Building houses the Plymouth Business School Student Support Office.

Back to map
Davy Building Davy
(DYB)
Davy Building houses the School of Biomedical and Biological Sciences and the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences. The building incorporates the Food and Nutrition unit, Analytical Research Unit and the Centre for Chemical Sciences. Davy is connected to Smeaton via the Link building.

The building is named after Sir Humphry Davy, who was a famous late eighteenth century scientist from Cornwall. He is popularly known for inventing the miners safety lamp. 

Back to map
Fitzroy Building Fitzroy
(FZB)
Fitzroy is home to the Faculty of Science and Technology. Based within the building are specialist facilities for the University's range of marine and coastal studies courses. Students at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level will benefit from the use of Meteorology Labs, a Navigation Simulation Suite and Marine Sports Science Labs. The building is named after Admiral Robert FitzRoy (1805-1865), the Captain of HMS Beagle, the ship that carried Darwin on his famous voyage.

Probably the most exciting and talked about feature in the building is the Ship Simulator, which offers a hands-on experience of navigation and collision avoidance. The University Ship Simulator is a state-of-the-art system which gives you the chance to find out what it is like to take command of anything from a supertanker to a fast patrol boat. You can sail all over the world; under Sydney Harbour Bridge or through the Dover Straits - it can even control the weather! 

Back to map
Hepworth House Hepworth House Located within Hepworth House is a Student Information Gateway. It provides a similar service to the Information Gateway within the Roland Levinsky Building. Hepworth House also includes administrative services such as the Admissions team and Registry and The Exams and Awards Office.

Back to map
Isaac Foot Building Isaac Foot Isaac Foot houses the Faculty of Education's Post Compulsory Education and Training course administrative facilities and school office, the Educational Development and Learning Technologies (EDaLT), and Isaacs staff restaurant. The building was named after Isaac Foot (1880 -1960) a British politician and solicitor. He returned to Plymouth to train as a solicitor and qualified in 1902. In 1903, with his friend Edgar Bowden, Michael Foot set up the law firm Foot and Bowden, now known as Foot-Anstey, which still exists in Plymouth today.

Isaacs staff restaurant is exclusively for the use of Plymouth University staff and postgraduate students. The restaurant is bright, clean and well run, offering a wide variety of freshly prepared meals, sandwiches and snacks including vegetarian and healthy eating options. Where possible individual dietary requirements will be accommodated.

Also located within Isaac Foot is the Student funding unit, who are a friendly team of specially trained staff who can help with all types of financial query, no matter how great or small.

Back to map
Library Charles Seale Hayne Library The University library recently underwent a £7 million library extension to accommodate the relocation of students and resources from other campuses. As well as a new cafe and a round-the-clock Open Access Computing and Media area, the extended library provides improved study facilities, and has re-arranged stock to cater for students on courses moving to Plymouth from other campuses.

Students, staff and members of the community now have access to more than 495,000 books and audio-visual items, as well as 3,150 current journals. The new 'self-issue' and 'self-return' machines enable full borrowing facilities throughout opening hours, and have proved so popular that an additional one has been installed. The library has a 24/7 Open Access Computing Suite situated on the bottom floor where there are 67 computers available. Anyone with a University card has access to this facility at any time.

Information and Learning Services has a variety of equipment available for loan from the Media Counters, including such items as video camcorders, digital stills cameras and audio tape recorders.

Back to map
Mary Newman Building Mary Newman The refurbished Mary Newman Hall provides 157 ensuite rooms in an 11 story building in the centre of the campus. Students are a few minutes from all the campus facilities and the town centre. Rooms on the higher floors benefit from great views over the city and out to sea. Each room has access to the University computer network at no additional cost.

Back to map
Nancy Astor Building Nancy Astor
(NA)
The Nancy Astor Building provides office accommodation and facilities for the Faculty of Health. The Peninsula Dental School has a presence within this building alongside the Peninsula Medical School.

Within the building are additions to the University's existing sports facilities; a new fitness suite and a new 4-court sports hall. The building also contains a café and an energy centre.

The building, with a total gross area circa 4350m2, is named after Nancy Astor (1879 - 1964), who was the first woman to serve as a member of the House of Commons. She was MP of Plymouth Sutton between 1919-45.

Back to map
Portland Square Portland Square
(PSQ)
Portland Square accommodates Peninsula Medical and Dental School, the Faculty of Health, and the Faculty of Science and Technology. It has 3 large state-of-the-art lecture theatres, as well as a ground floor cafe and is also home to the Cube 3 Gallery.

The Medical School; the culmination of a much heralded partnership between the universities of Plymouth and Exeter and local NHS Trusts, opened its doors to students in 2003. The £23 million development at Portland Square provides first-class facilities for medical students and space for the Institute of Health Studies, which trains pre and post-registration nurses.

CUBE3 Gallery is an exciting venture by the University of Plymouth to provide a challenging exhibition space within the confines of its prestigious Portland Square development.

Back to map
Reynolds Building Reynolds The Reynolds Building is situated at the main entrance to the University campus. Housed within the building are Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Marine and Composite Engineering. The building also houses academics from the Environmental Building courses.

The building was originally a bank, and is named after the famous artist Joshua Reynolds (1723 - 1792), who was born in Plympton, Devon, England.

Back to map
Robbins Conference Centre Robbins
(Robbins)
Robbins Building is home to the University of Plymouth's state-of-the-art conference facilities and is primarily used as a conference centre. Robbins Conference Centre has an acoustically designed air conditioned 250 seat lecture theatre, and a large flexible space which can either be used as seminar rooms or a dining area. There is one large lecture theatre and 3 smaller seminar rooms within the building which are used by University staff and students, as well as local businesses and community groups.

Above the conference facilities are halls of residence which accommodate undergraduate students. They are divided into cluster flats with a mixture of 162 ensuites, and 268 standard and interior rooms with shared kitchen facilities. The flats are for between 4 - 8 residents. The hall is very close to the main campus and the city centre. During the summer the halls of residence are available for use by members of the public wishing to book affordable summer accommodation within the city.

The largest transformation of the University came after the Robbins Report on Higher Education and a massive expansion in access to universities.

Back to map
Roland Levinsky Building Roland Levinsky Building
(RL)
The Roland Levinsky Building is a state-of-the art building designed by internationally acclaimed architects: Henning Larsen. The building has been named in memory of Professor Roland Levinsky (1943-2007), former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Plymouth. This is the first major project of the distinctive and vibrant 'cultural quarter' planned by the University, Plymouth City Council and Plymouth Arts Centre for the North Hill area of the city. The Roland Levinsky Building cost in the region of £36 million and has been part-financed by the European Union, European Regional Development Fund and the South West of England Regional Development Agency.

Housed within the building are the Faculty of Arts, Peninsula Arts and Formation Zone for those wanting to start or develop a creative business idea in a supportive and collaborative environment. The University main reception is on the bottom floor of the building and is the first port of call for all visitors to the University campus.

The Disability Assist reception and offices are also in the building. As an established assessment centre we can offer independent needs assessments and advice for students referred under the Disabled Student's Allowances scheme throughout the South West.

Back to map
Rolle Building Rolle
(Rolle)
The University of Plymouth has invested £25 million in the new Rolle Building Development in the heart of the Plymouth campus.

  • The development comprises academic accommodation to house the Faculty of Education, alongside the Graduate School and the Educational Development and Learning Technologies department, and the Centres for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETLs)
  • The academic building comprises teaching and administrative space, including a 'learning atrium', lecture theatre, music rooms and laboratories
  • The residential building provides accommodation to 329 students, plus a 'pavilion' style refectory and ancillary accommodation of wardens flat, FM offices, launderette and cycle/surf store
The Faculty of Education relocated here from Exmouth in Autumn 2008, bringing together into one single campus, academic and research activities, and provision of enhanced facilities to enrich the student experience. The Rolle Building takes its name from the Rolle family, which has been associated with the Faculty of Education's provision in Exmouth since the early 1950s.

Back to map
Scott Building Scott
(SCB)
The Scott Building is home to parts of the Faculty of Arts; mainly photography and graphics courses. The building has lecture theatres and recently refurbished art labs, dark rooms and computer facilities. It also houses a wardrobe facility for theatre and dance. Academic subjects based within Scott include Media Arts, Photography, Sound and Music Production.

There has been a significant refurbishment and redesign throughout the whole fabric of the building. In addition to studios, the building now offers excellent workshops in a number of areas including ceramics, photographic dark rooms, video editing suites and sound studios.

Back to map
Sherwell Centre Sherwell Centre
(SHC)
The Sherwell Centre is situated on North Hill. The building contains two large lecture theatres which are used by all Faculties, and also provides ground floor exhibition space for both internal and external users of the University. Both theatres are state-of-the-art with improved visual and sound systems for lectures and displays. The building also houses exhibition space for artwork on the second floor. The upper lecture theatre has a grand piano and lends itself to concerts and recitals.

Back to map
Smeaton Building Smeaton
(SMB)
The Smeaton Building is one of the Faculty of Science and Technology's primary buildings and is utilised by the School of Marine Science and Engineering as well as the School of Computing and Mathematics.

Smeaton Building contains lecture theatres, labs and specialised rooms containing lasers, satellite communications and computer networks, as well as housing the Faculty of Science and Technology's administration offices.
 
The building is named after John Smeaton (1724 - 1792), who made his name as a civil engineer. He was often regarded as the "father of civil engineering" responsible for the design of bridges, canals, harbours and lighthouses. He was also a more than capable mechanical engineer and an eminent physicist. He had the task of re-building Plymouth's 'Eddystone lighthouse' in 1756.

Back to map
Students Union Students Union UPSU is involved in and influences many aspects of university life; from representation, commercial services, advice and welfare through to bars, entertainment, volunteering, sports and societies. All of these can be found inside the building.

UPSU is a non-profit making organisation and runs commercial businesses to generate income which helps to fund all these activities and make improvements to the facilities they offer.

The building has recently undergone a major extension, called the Hive, and the University clubs, societies and volunteering organisations can be found in here.

Over recent years there has been investment in a new shop, bars and furniture. Inside the building it is separated into distinct areas to cater for our members' different needs. Ignition and Illusion are the main nightclub areas, Re:Union and Drakes Snack Shack are the places to head for a main meal or bite to eat, Fuzzy Duck is the 'traditional pub' area and Drakes provides entertainment with a pool tables, games machines and a jukebox.

U:shop and U:shop2 are the places to visit for your newspaper, drinks, stationery or university clothing and merchandise. It is the place to visit to buy the very popular range of hoodies and t-shirts.

The Advice Centre has a team of specially trained advisers that are available to offer information and advice to students who may find themselves in difficulty during their time at university. Their friendly and experienced team is specially trained in a wide range of areas including academic problems, finance, budgeting and benefits.

Back to map